The list is not conclusive. There may be other services available that better suit your individual needs.
2015 Federal elections
For the National Council and the first round of voting for the Council of States will take place on 18 October 2015. All 142,000 Swiss citizens abroad registered on an electoral roll can vote for their National Councillors on this date.
Do take part, if you are not yet a registered voter you can do this easily. www.ch.ch or www.2015elections.ch , www.smartvote.ch will give you plenty of information about votes and elections. The votes from abroad are equal in numbers to the votes from the third largest canton in Switzerland – so if we all take party our voice will be heard!
Cost of Living Calculator
Information provided by the Embassy of Switzerland in Singapore / the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs / The Organization of the Swiss abroad (OSA) / Soliswiss
- AHV/IV, AVS/AI
Have you been contributing to the Swiss old-age and survivors insurance and disability insurance for the last 5 consecutive years? Then you are entitled to still contribute on a voluntary basis while living abroad. Swiss citizens living abroad can join the voluntary insurance within the first 12 months.
- Pension fund / Vested Benefits
If you have you been contributing to a pension fund in Switzerland then you can join the voluntary insurance of the “Stiftung Auffangeinrichtung BVG” within 3 months after leaving the mandatory insurance. Premiums will be based on your last drawn salary and depend on the inclusion of risk coverage (Disability & Death). There is no employer contribution.
- Payout of the pension capital / vested benefits
The domicile of the pension fund / vested benefit foundation determines the source tax rate applied and tax rates vary from canton to canton.
- Health & Accident insurance
If you feel like your health & accident insurance coverage is not sufficient, you might be interested in below insurance solution. (E.g. trailing spouse with a partner on a local contract is likely to have no accident insurance coverage and only limited health insurance coverage.)
There are now 3 banks that encourage Swiss living abroad to open accounts with them: Migros Bank, Valiant Bank and Neue Helvetische Bank. In case you are forced to change your bank account to another bank check them out. Postfinance remains an option as well. Once the “automatische Informationsaustausch” (automatic exchange of banking information) is in place in about two years’ time, many problems regarding bank accounts should resolve themselves but not everyone can or wants to wait that long.
Swiss School in Singapore (SSiS)
SSiS is a German-speaking, international School in Singapore located in the area of Bukit Tinggi with around 300 students from Pre-School through Primary School who learn and play in a unique, green and familiar learning environment. Its curriculum is based on a bilingual education in German and English and includes French from Primary 5 onwards. www.swiss-school.edu.sg/
Employing a Foreign Domestic Worker (“Helper”)
- A good overview of Popular Job Sites and employment requirements is available on http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/find_a_job/jobs_overview/
- The Career Resource Center for Expats (CRCE) offers excellent workshops http://www.aasingapore.com/about-crce/
- The magic word in Singapore is Networking. Below are popular resources. Have name cards ready and exchange them with both hands.
http://www.internations.org/home/ & http://www.meetup.com/
http://www.eurocham.org.sg/ & http://www.fccsingapore.com/
http://www.cfasingapore.org/ (for the financial industry)
The Swiss driving license is valid in Singapore for one year.
Within the first year only a Basic Theory Test (BTT) is required to convert the Swiss driving license into a Singaporean one.
(Expect a waiting list of 2-3 months for the Basic Theory Test.)
- Swiss Post offers an online portal that allows changing the old Swiss address, forwarding letters to abroad etc. http://www.swisspost.ch/post-startseite/post-privatkunden/post-empfangen/post-empfangen-zustellung-verwalten.htm
- Singpost also offers an online portal that allows organising mail. http://www.singpost.com/receive-organise-mail.html
- Before/when leaving Singapore your remuneration is withheld until all tax duties are settled.